Friday, December 24, 2010

For the Joy before Him

Who knew that a baby would solve all their problems?

He seemed to be a lot of trouble at first - her fiance was ready to leave her when he found out. Thank God (and His angel) that didn't happen. She really needed Joseph.

But oh, man, was that ride to Bethlehem difficult. A donkey isn't the most comfprtable animal to ride on, especially in the third trimester. She and Joseph were tired when the reached the town. There was only a stable to sleep in, but at least it was a place to rest, right?
Not for long. Mary soon gave birth to her little baby - a boy whom they named Jesus.

I wonder if all her tiredness just melted away when she held Him for the first time. One look into His eyes made her sure that it had all been worth it. He brought her such peace now, and such joy! "Yes, it was all worth it," she thought. "He was worth it all."

Who knew that years later, as a grown man, her baby boy would be thinking the same thing about her as He hung on a cross?
She looked up at Him, weeping, as blood poured from His body. He could barely speak, but I'm sure He was thinking, "She is worth it. They are all worth this."

Who knew that a baby would be born with the purpose of dying for the world?
I've heard of babies filling voids, but this baby filled a void that no baby and no human could ever fill.
I've heard of babies stealing people's hearts, but I don't think any baby has stolen as many hearts as Jesus did, and does.

Who knew that a baby could have such an impact?
Who knew that a baby could breing so much peace and joy?

Who knew that this baby would grow into a man who considered me His joy?
Who knew this man would love me enough to die for me?
Who knew this man had enough love to die for the world?
Who knew this man had the power to defy the grave and steal life from death's grip?
Who knew this man had the power of God?
Who knew that this man, this Holy Son of God, had the power to defy my sin and steal my heart?

Who knew that it would all start with a precious baby?

I surely didn't.
God did.
To this day, thousands of years later, I can feel my Father hold me in His arms, surely as Mary held Jesus, and whisper, "Yes, yes, my child... you were worth it all."

"Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfector of our faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God." - Hebrews 12:2

No comments:

Post a Comment