Saturday, November 13, 2010

Bad Romance

In some of the best writings this world has seen, authors have carefully composed deep feelings of affection, adoration, and passion into beautifully scripted words; songs, poetry, love letters, et cetera, et cetera. 

Tonight, I am not one of those authors. 
Don't expect me to be one for a long time.

It makes me sick.
My stomach churns as I write.

We have it all wrong. 
I had it all wrong.

We cannot base our definition of love
On physical aspects; on emotions; on impatience.

We cannot base love on anything 
That comes from us.

We are imperfect humans;
Therefore, we can never do anything perfectly--
Including love.

We have one perfect, true example of love--
And that is God's love for us.

Love is not romance.
Love is not a dozen roses, or a box of chocolates.
Love is not sweet words or scented candles.
Love is not a look of longing or a breathtaking kiss.

Love is sacrifice.
Love is enduring pain for the better of someone else.
Love is compromise when you want to be stubborn.
Love is giving your life, so that others may experience life.

Love is not easy.
Love is difficult.
Love always perseveres.

It doesn't persevere for no reason! 
Would love need to persevere through romance and adoration?

No! 

It perseveres through hardships;
Through rough terrain.

And when you are able to persevere through the hardships,
Then you will be able to experience the joy of romance.

And you know what else?...
(Perseverance is romantic.)

I am not ready to commit to that type of endurance. 
Why, then, should I experience the joys of romance?

I shouldn't. 
And I don't want to.

The thought of romance sickens me.
The shallow, egotistical concept of romance 
Literally makes me want to gag.

So don't flirt with me.
Don't try to get me alone.
Don't touch me,
And definitely don't compliment me.
I'm not searching for your compliments or seeking your approval.

If anything, give me PURE, Christian love.
And that's it.
Leave the rest up to God.

Because His romance 
Is the only romance that doesn't make me sick.
It makes me complete.
HIS approval is the only one I need.
and His love--
His true, perfect, sacrificial, persevering love--
Is more than enough.

2 comments:

  1. so deep and wise ... i only wish i was the wise when i was your age ... even now ...

    you inspire me.

    ReplyDelete